Sunday, July 20, 2008

Not a "Death Star" alignment

...and what I mean is there was no "LASER" involved in this alignment. Neat thing about the Cobra is they used quick jacks to quickly jack the car up during races. The quick jack's are NOT functional on this car (in my opinion) BUT they make excellent brackets for performing alignment. I marked two pieces of PVC at the same length with a small groove at each end made by a pipe cutter. Then I dropped a piece of fishing string over the grooves with weights from each end. Measuring each corner off of the main frame rails I adjsusted the rails till the lines were equadistant on left and right sides and at front and rear.



Once that is done the great thing is the lines move with the car. Since this is IRS I adjusted the toe and camber of the rear. Toe I set by measureing with a caliper from the string to the wheel at front and rear until even. Camber I have just set by running a level on top of the tread for now.


Then I went up front and left caster alone for now and set toe and camber up front... I set toe out just slightly. All of this was good learning but really for nothing since my ride height and caster was going to change up front.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: