Friday, October 13, 2006

The beginning...

So what is this blog (my first) about?
I figured a blog would be a simple way of documenting something and sharing some of the process and pictures with my friends or others who have similar interests. I'm building a car; specifically a replica 1965 A/C Cobra from Factory Five Racing. Up front I will state that I am not trying to create an exact period specific replica of a 1965 Cobra. My intent is to build and sell a modernized version of the classic roadster.

Why?
After an extremely frustrating week at work, after several frustrating months at work, I was contemplating what else I could do with the skills God has given me. What was I good at doing and that I wish I could do every day to make a living? I remembered why I thought I wanted to be an engineer and how much I love cars. I dreamt of waking up, spending time with my wife and kids each morning, get in some exercise and go into my own garage and build cars. Just simple, clean, well built custom cars. I briefly thought through the #'s and thought it highly doubtful that I could match my current salary and benefits doing that full time. I quickly began feeling, well,,, stuck. But, after many days of praying, a few things happened that made me decide to take some risk and build a one off car and see how things went. I use some of the skills God has blessed me with, get to teach my family some of those skills, as well as instill the courage to take a risk, and go after their dreams.

How?
Well, that's where the title comes in to play. I've named this car 'Grace' because it is by the grace of God that I am able to do this, financially, physically, and mentally.

When?
I have no targeted completion date, on purpose. I want to build this slowly and enjoy it and complete it to the level of perfection that I desire. I ordered the car from Factory Five on September 29th, 2006 and the expected factory ready to ship date is Oct 21st 2006. So with weekly pickup and delivery I am expecting delivery sometime around the week of October 30th, 2006.

From here out I hope to post regular pictures of progress with some comments and I'll see where this goes!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW a good choice for a first build, would suggest a 5.0 Ford engine rebuilt by hand......backed uip with a new 5 speed trans,have a inside tip on where to get free oversight, advice and the most important thing safety tips...you would be suprized on how easy it is to hurt your self.
Grace,by David, that has a nice ring to it!

CRICKET